I was nominated by DizzyGirl of Toy Meets Girl for the Real Neat Blog Award. This totally surprised me. Despite the active online sex education/sex toy blogger community online, it is very easy to feel isolated in this work. I put a lot of time and energy into making Sexologist Vixenne be as awesome as it can be, so this really means a lot.
1. What was the reason you decided to start blogging? Has that reason changed over time?
I started blogging with the idea that I wanted to create friendly, easy to understand, sex positive information that could reach people of all walks of life and start to give them permission, and open their minds around sex, kink, and gender.
I would say that for the most part, a lot of what I write about is still in that realm, with the added sex toy reviews which I’ve been doing now for almost a year and a half. I suppose that my focus has also shifted to include topics around sexological bodywork and body image.
2. Are there other bloggers whose work has given you inspiration? If so, share with us the post and the site that gave you inspiration.
There is no way I could just pick one. I love a variety of bloggers for many reasons. Sometimes it has to do with the aesthetic of their website, how it’s laid out, the color scheme, and so on. Other times, the voice that shines out, the authenticity and vulnerability with which they write, or just the tone appeals to me. If I’m reading product reviews, I pay attention to the similarities and differences of how I feel about a product that we have in common.
3. If there was one question you could ask your favorite blogger what would it be?
How do you maintain consistency and momentum in how often you post? (Consistency is really challenging for me.)
4. Did you ever see yourself as a ______ blogger? (The blank is for whatever label you give your blog. Sex, kink, dating, etc.)
In a way, yes. I have wanted to be a writer for a while. I’d written some erotica in my late teens/early 20s. There’s a kind of “high” that I get when I hit publish and my words are now out there.
5. What website on the entire web, besides your own, do you spend the most time on?
Oh lord. I bounce back and forth between a few. Probably Facebook and Twitter are tied.
6. Gotta ask one toy question. Name your absolute favorite sex toy. (More than one is fine.)
7. Last one is just for fun. Who is your favorite superhero and why?
Oh darn. “Real” superhero fans may not approve of my answer, but I’m not a huge superhero/comics fan (Although, I do enjoy the X-Men movies.), so I’m going to say The Doctor (Doctor Who). He’s lived over a thousand years and still believes that every person is important and has value…and of course the amazing, fascinating journey through time and space is just super exciting.
So how this works is, I’m supposed to nominate 7 other blogs for the Real Neat Blog award and they are asked to answer these questions. Then they choose another 7 blogs for the award and can ask these question or their own.
My nominations are: